Saturday, February 10, 2007

Open Key Night

The howling siren sets my dog to howling along,
outside, until the fade of one and the other
lets familiar domestic sounds return to focus

The small whoosh of gas stove lighting
scrape of an ancient kitchen drawer
and onion skin being removed, and rechopitulation

A hot sizzling crescendo and more definitive chops,
the 'ting' of the cutting blade, and rinsing of same
A brief bark, desirous to be on the other side of the door

A full grown child will not be home for supper
and with good bye enters an outside world of laughter
while canine toenails click into a distant room

Now pour, and stir, and general conclatteration -
the familiar aromas synaesthetically evoke a vision
of home long ago, and Beethoven, then the news...

"Good night, Chet." "Good night, David."
And years beyond, and years to come
and thoughts unthought, and words, hard or soft, unspoken

I was just passing by, and the keyboard was open
which is as good a reason as any, I suppose;
this moment with you, though later, I treasure now

9 comments:

Plus Ultra said...

Another great poem...I have a parallel site where i put all my works together, I want to put you on my links there, (I am linking a select group only) I will need a 10 liner description of yourself and with that I will study your blogs and then come out with my own description of you and your blogs, please go to
http://alwaysmorebeyond.multiply.com try looking into the reviews and the links too and you will understand what I mean...

Anonymous said...

Excellent! And I love that ending!

floots said...

beautiful steve
and
like aurora
i was knocked out by the ending

LA said...

Familiar sound of dogs nails
clicking on my hardwood floors.

Really like the line,
and thoughts unthought.
As well as the use of rechopitulation.

Thanks,
LA :)

polona said...

wow! love this one, steve, and how it uses dfferent senses to create a mood. wonderful!

steve said...

plus ultra - thank you, that's very kind! I'll have a look and see if I can figure what to do :)

aurora & floots - thank you :):)

la - nice to have your words here...looking forward to reading more of your poetry :)

polona - this was written more or less as the sounds were happening (except for the memory part).
Thank you! :)

Pat Paulk said...

I agree with Polona, you got my taste buds slaivating and my fingers wanting to tickle the ivories. Good poem Steve!!

Neetee said...

Your free tripping words of everyday life are so refreshing and so right.

steve said...

pat - great to sit down at the keyboard from time to time :)

queen neetee - that's very kind -so good to see your words here - and I like the writing style in your latest blog entry :)