Sunday, May 07, 2006

What is it...

What is it
when I can sit all weekend
and read and write this poetry stuff?
Where did this come from?
I never had time to read
and now it seems so easy to choose.
What if the piles by the door grow a bit?
And that camera - keep it handy,
and keep the batteries charged.
My son now, he likes to write, be like dad.
Well, not quite like dad, but you know.
I pull out the violin and play a few jigs,
put on Bach and cruelly mangle the memorized lines
but some day it'll be there.
Meanwhile, I feel pretty good about this.
Don't know what makes good poetry, but
know it when I
read it.

5 comments:

Kai said...

thanks,

i like this poem

Anonymous said...

kai - you're very welcome, it's a good picture.:)

Pat Paulk said...

Amen!! Me too!!

polona said...

guess i've just read some good poetry!

steve said...

Pat - some people have asked why I've started writing recently and what makes good poetry, and I don't know really what to tell them but I hope that sometime they'll find some of it they like. I point them others too, like yours.

polona - thank you for looking in here!