Sunday, March 19, 2006

Broken Blogger Blues (for Pat's Muse)

(Background for this is Pat Paulk's recent "Wait Staff" - about server problems)

This mornin' for breakfast
I chawed de mornin' [error]
This mornin' for breakfast
Chawed de mornin' [error]
But this evenin' for supper
I got evenin' [error] to spare

(adapted from "Evenin' Air Blues" by Langston Hughes)

I've tweaked this several times ("err'r" instead of the original "air" was the first attempt, then just "err", then "server" instead of "mornin'" and "evenin'") but have decided that it's simply a good example of unskilled adaptation. Pat's poetry is pretty good though, and as far as I know his server is working again...

4 comments:

Pat Paulk said...

Steve you are most kind. My muse is happily "chawin" on her blog again. You flatter me with your poem and comments, thank you!

p.s. Love Langston Hughes

steve said...

Hey, Pat! Your hungry muse somehow reached for a helping of Hughes, and anyway I love the blues, and 'chaw' is such a great word to use.

Pat Paulk said...

Steve being in and coming from the south it's a word I'm very familiar with. A man doesn't have a "chew" in his mouth he has a "chaw"!

steve said...

Pat - i lived in South Carolina for a short while about 20 years ago - we had our first child there - developed a love for the people, the humor, the springtime.