Friday, February 17, 2006

Ouch

It was Friday evening of a long week and I'd had about all the caffeine I could drink. My eyes were sore from staring at the screen and my legs were numb from sitting too long. I pondered the motion of this planet turning on its slow trip around the sun. My usual blog checks were dry. I wondered whether it was foolish to even try. It wouldn't be the only foolish thing.

Mid February and we must be pretty far from the sun's warmth. Too many seconds and the skin starts to freeze. Breathe in and gasp down cold air. Run for the door, or at least trot. Where are my gloves? Through the doors and in. Impressive cold.

Lonely cold. Life gets lonely sometimes. "Tell me about it!" you say. Yes. I'm sorry. Should visit. Make it a priority. Moons come and go.

Listen hard
to the wafting
and raving voice
calling years ago:

"How much longer,
How much very longer
Can I stand firm
or stand at all?

I give all,
I fall,
I rest,
I did my best.

Did you hear
what I said?
It was for you -
It was
for you."

But I didn't know, and couldn't know, and maybe even wouldn't know.

It was Friday evening, and I wandered to my room, and laid down, and slept.

No comments: