Saturday, January 28, 2006

Capricious

The haunting opening line from the Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso is floating through through my mind. Which is kind of good, because usually I haven't had the freed up thinking time to let things like that float through (Thanks, Dan, for bringing that piece to my attention this week).

Up early, doing some programming to permit grouping data in ways that our current tools (at work, this is) don't really handle at the moment. I love doing it, I guess, or I'd still be in bed! These fits of puzzle solving are what got me into research in the first place, seems to be hard-wired. And actually, writing music or poetry or even a chunk of slog2live has some of this puzzle-solving thing. I think, anyway.

Quiet. The dog and cats have been fed and let out, nice cup of tea, bowl of wheat cereal and milk finished, and the open keyboard(s). Family off in various directions - mid-winter camp, college, friends, just Peter and me last night and we went to the Y for basketball (only 16 out of 100 freethrows this time - sigh), racquetball (played more or less by the rules) and swimming (laps). Left there at about 9, Peter could have stayed longer but I was starting to fade. Oddly, when we got home both of us had troubled with major muscles soreness in our legs. Peter got himself a 'fetching' stick - one of those kinds with a gripper on the end - to use as a cane and hobbled around the house moaning. I think it was the racquetball, racing around on the hard floor without warm-up and cool-down stretching. It sure hurt.

Rose was off to a dance with a friend, the girls had the usual excitement getting ready to go and seemed so grown up for 13. We had pizza (of course) and I really value the time just sitting and eating together, again something that can get lost in the rush.

There's that melody again. Trying to tell me something, I think. Such an emotional longing. Trouble, that kind of stuff.

No comments: