Monday, January 16, 2006

Hooping beyond all hoops

The laundry room office is taking shape. Two used black 2-drawer file cabinets @ $39 ea (they shut with a nice 'click'), a table-top laid across them (for now), an older but presentable 5' x 8' rug (mainly blue), a computer running linux from a dvd (Knoppix - you knew there'd be something like this), a few family photos (to remind me to go back upstairs), and other desky things like a basket with paper, the label maker, and folders. Lots of folders. I got 400 of them for about $5.00, they have English and Spanish on the box covers. The ceiling is simply joists and underside of floor, with pipes, wires, and cobwebs (now swept away). It's fine, and I think Peter really likes it, I came down and found him sitting there thinking.

He's especially interested in getting one of those gaming devices. We spent time researching them, talking about what he'd do with it, what his friends have, do they play alone or two at a time or online and what do they play and what do their parents not let them play and on and on. In the end, we decided that we'd spent quite enough time talking about it and went to the Y to shoot baskets instead.

I think I shot about 35 times before making a basket. Maybe more. Peter was happy to run around making his own shots, or going over to the padded mat on the floor to do somersaults or just lay there, while I determinedly went to the free throw line, took aim, missed, and ran to retrieve the ball before the third bounce. Eventually I got warmed up and was making about 30% of the shots. Peter asked if we could we could play racquetball instead, so I sent him to the desk to find out if there was a court open. He came back with two racquets, the ball, and a smile. The court had clean white walls and we whacked the ball around for about 20 minutes, sometimes sending it out through the observation window. Someday we'll have to learn how to play properly.

I was very tired by evening.

Another day for hitting the organizing. Maybe I'll look for a better 'desktop' and get some pipe in place to support blue curtain material that Cynthia has for covering the cracked plaster walls. I also want to get an ethernet line run down from the back room router to the desk - the Knoppix 4.0 boots up fine with internet connection and a picture of what must be the Autobahn. Speaking of cars, the van goes today for body work and it's time to take it in. Peter has piano tonight, and maybe later I can get to the Y again to shoot a few more baskets and swim.

No comments: