Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The CPU

Multitasking. Supposed to be a good thing. It's not.

One thing at a time
And that done well
Is a very good rule
As many can tell.

How's that? One thing at a time? Done well?

It's at the core of 'getting things done'. Everything goes through a collection process -everything that takes up thinking time. Goes onto paper and into an 'inbox'. Collection phase. Something still taking up thinking time? Goes in. Take weekly or as needed.

Next phase is to pick up onethingatatime and ask "can I do it right now in just a couple of minutes? Really?" And then do it. This is hard because a lot of times it actually takes more than two minutes - a phone call can easily go longer, at least if I need to listen, which is usually.

And so the onethinginhand either gets done right away or it doesn't. Does it need to get done soon? Put it into the 'next actions' bin. I use folders. Vanilla folders (yes, it's manilla, but I like vanilla instead). Sometimes a sticky note added about what actually needs to happen next with that thing. Into the folder.

Is it really for somebody else to take care of? Gets a date on it and goes into a 'waiting for' queue (vanilla folder). If it takes only two minutes to ask them (email?), I do it, otherwise I handle these during some set-aside time. Am I waiting for something like tax forms to come in? Same bin. Could split it out if it gets too mixed. Review as needed - doesn't take long.

What if there's nothing to do with it soon but it'll be important later? If there is a hard, definite date, it goes onto a calender, whowhatwherewhen as needed. Also useful here is the 'tickler' file which is a pretty odd yet standard name. I use two months worth of daily vanilla folders that hold information for the particular day. Then I don't have to spend time worrying about if I'm going to remember. There are also reminders to spend time preparing for things that are coming up. A day comes, the file gets consulted, and at the end of the day, the folder cycles to the end of the line. Monthly folders catch things that are further out than two months. Pretty simply, really.

What if I don't know if I'll ever do it? Goes into 'someday/maybe' folder. If I'm really not ever going to even try to do it, best place is the trash. Why spend time thinking about that when there are so many other things that need attention. But if I'm doubtful, it can go into 'someday/maybe.'

What's left? Things that I want/need to keep for reference. I put them in an A-Z filing system using major categories and subcategories that seem to make sense - no perfect way to do this, I just try to be practical so I can find things without too much effort. Generous use of vanilla folders. I buy them on sale. Also have a labeler that prints out a crisp looking black-on-white label with split-and-peel backing, it goes pretty quickly to make a new label and put it on. No overstuffed folders, and the file drawer is only ever about 3/4 full, not jammed. Simple rules.

I don't put reminders to do something into the reference file, and I don't clutter up the action files with material that belongs in longer-term reference. For long, anyway.

Anything else? Context. Need context. Projects. A projects folder with simply a list of projects, to be reviewed weekly or so. It's a reminder list for thinking horizontally across lots of different areas that need attention. What a relief to not have to carry this in my head. I used to think it was so important to carry it all in my head. Can't. Not well, anyway. Wish I could...but it obviously doesn't work, and it's not likely to get better with time.

Projects get lists of supporting actions. These actions are written down and get distributed into 'do right away' or 'next actions' (as time/energy/location allows), or onto the calendar or tickler file.

What about all the e-mails? I end up printing a lot out and deleting them, especially at work where the files can start costing money to store. Some things do need to be kept electronically, so I set up folders (with vanilla folder icons) in pretty much the same arrangement of 'next actions', 'waitingfor', 'someday' and so on.

It sounds like a lot, but actually it's kind of fun and the real benefit is the relaxation that starts to replace the endless tension.

One of the things that I do spend time thinking about is how to be the dad that my kids need - and they all have different needs - and to be a reasonably good husband - honest, patient, strong, listening, helpful. I'm hoping it will be more manageable. My kids do need their time of experiencing the swirl of input from friends while also handling what school asks. But they also need the stability that depends in part on me. And maybe they will pick up some good habits - it's worth a try.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve,

It's been awhile since I visited your Slog...what a transformation or rather, an evolution.

If this is what happens as a result of a brief walk to a bagel store on a cold Thanksgiving holiday two years ago, who knows what could come from regular conversations.

I like your organizing system...in truth, I think I just have one manilla folder, but they give to us and say, "Do this",which is simpler than making decisions for right now!

keep up the interesting writing!

-Ian